Nagoya City University Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
The goal of pharmacy is to integrate various basic sciences related to medicine and to apply them to medical treatment. Any person who wishes to study pharmacy, an essential part of academic study for medical treatment, is required to contribute to developing the health and welfare of their fellow human beings through medicine. Based on this idea, the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences established the Department of Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences and the Department of Pharmacy in order to have students acquire a wider range of both basic and research capabilities for inventing and manufacturing medicines, understand their clinical applications, proper management and appropriate use and send specialists in various medicines out into global society.
Our faculty expects and welcomes students with the following qualifications:
- Students with high enthusiasm and a strong spirit of academic inquiry for pharmacy:
We expect students to have a passion for learning and a strong spirit of academic inquiry for pharmacy as a science.
- Students with a sense of responsibility and ethics for medical treatment and pharmacy:
We expect students to have a sense of responsibility and ethics and to contribute, as specialists in medicines, to developing the health and welfare of their fellow human beings through their actions as pharmacists in the medical fields, in the research and development of medicines, as administrative authorities, etc.
- Students who have broad range of academic skills, mainly in the sciences:
Pharmacy emphasizes academic skills in the applied fields of the natural sciences. At the same time, pharmacists, researchers and engineers in the field of pharmacy are required to have a wide range of knowledge, including the social sciences, the humanities and sociology. We therefore expect students to have a solid liberal arts background.
- Students who can develop international perspectives and who possess strong communication skills:
We now live in a time where it is essential to have international cooperation for the research and development of pharmaceutical products and for the activities of medical professionals. Consequently, we expect our students to endeavor to acquire an understanding of international perspectives, the ability to facilitate communication and to take action.
- Students who desire to learn pharmacy as a life science (Department of Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences):
We expect our students to have a passion for contributing to the development of the health and welfare of their fellow human beings as scientists through research in basic pharmacy, developing of pharmaceutical products and other activities in the future.
- Students who are conscious of their duty as medical professionals (Department of Pharmacy):
We expect students to desire to contribute to medical treatment for patients by caring for them as a pharmacist and cooperating with different medical professionals in their treatment.
- Students who desire to study in graduate school:
We expect students to have a strong desire to go to graduate school in order to contribute to the progress of drug discovery, life sciences and clinical pharmacy work.
Nagoya City University Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences
The aim of the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Medicinal and Life Sciences Major,
Experimental and Clinical Pharmacy Major) is to train researchers and engineers to acquire broad knowledge and extensive expertise in the fields of pharmacy and who have the outstanding creative skills necessary for innovative research in the pharmaceutical and life sciences, the sciences of drug discovery, environmental pharmaceutical sciences as well as medical pharmacy work. We also aim to train students to have broad vision and have exceptional aptitude for taking on important roles as administrative authorities, in medical practice, etc.
In order to train advanced experts in these diverse fields, the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences expects and welcomes graduate students with the following qualifications:
- For courses at both the master's and doctorate level, we expect our graduate students to have strong enthusiasm for study and research throughout their time here and who have plenty of independent creativity and spirit of cooperation.
- For master's courses, we primarily expect graduate students to be willing to acquire the problem-solving skills needed to approach research projects and to have basic academic skills in the material sciences and life sciences as well as the language abilities that are necessary for performing research.
- For doctorate courses, we expect graduate students to be willing to acquire the skills needed to find research projects, in addition to problem-solving skills, during courses where they show the results of their most advanced research and present the results in scientific papers, and who have the basic skills necessary for advanced knowledge and for performing research on related material and life sciences.
- From the perspective of training a diverse student body, we expect graduate students to come from different academic backgrounds (graduate students from faculties other than pharmacy) and to have the basic academic skills necessary for performing research as well as students who are new to the study of pharmacy.
- From the perspective of training an international student body, we expect our international students to have basic academic skills in the material and life sciences for performing research and to have the desire to study pharmacy.
- From the perspective of training diverse persons, we expect our adult graduate students to have the academic skills and experience necessary for performing researches and to have the desire to study pharmacy at the doctorate level.