Public University Corporation NAGOYA CITY UNIVERSITY

UNIVERSITY PROFILE

Progress of Nagoya City University

NCU developed as a center of medical, pharmaceutical and nursing activities in Nagoya City in the history of the preceding period.

The predecessors of Nagoya City University (NCU) are Nagoya Women's Medical College and Nagoya Pharmaceutical College. In 1950, NCU made a start by merging both into two faculties, namely: the Medical School under the old education system, and the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences under the new education system. In 1955, NCU set up the Medical School under the new education system.

Looking back into the histories of its two predecessors, Nagoya Pharmaceutical College originated in 1884 as a private school named "Nagoya School of Pharmacy." It then grew to Nagoya Pharmaceutical Training School in 1936 and to Nagoya Pharmaceutical College in 1949. On the other hand, Nagoya Women's Medical College came into being in 1943 as a five-year school formerly named "Nagoya Municipal Women's Higher Medical School" in response to the calling of the time. It was the nation's first public "women's medical college." Instituting additional three preparatory courses in 1947, it became Nagoya Women's Medical College.

Meanwhile, Nagoya Municipal Hospital, the predecessor of the University Hospital of NCU, was established in 1931 together with a nursing school affiliated with it. This affiliated nursing school evolved into Affiliated Women's Welfare High School, then into the Nursing School of NCU, and then into Nagoya City University College of Nursing, and finally into the present School of Nursing of NCU.

NCU has produced over 26,000 human resources and sent them forth to the working world and regional society as a university of arts and sciences.

In 1964, NCU added the Faculty of Economics. In 1996, NCU reorganized Nagoya City College of Child Education (formerly, Nagoya City Childcare Workers Training School), Nagoya Municipal Women's College (formerly, Nagoya Women's Vocational School) and the College of General Education of NCU into the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, the School of Design and Architecture, and the Institute of Natural Sciences. Based on the Institute of Natural Sciences, NCU established the Graduate School of Natural Science in 2000. Thus, NCU is now a university of arts and sciences having six faculties and seven graduate schools, including graduate schools set up successively in those six faculties described above since 1961.

In this way, NCU has evolved into an urban-type general university located in the heart of Nagoya, a typical metropolis in Japan, with over 4,000 students and over 1,600 faculty members. In the past 60 years, NCU has sent forth over 26,000 graduates to society. NCU continues to grow as an advanced education and research institute to support the betterment of local health and welfare and the development of local economy and culture.

Font Size S M L

Japanese

Contact